Here’s the situation; you want a beautiful lawn, free of weeds and roaming rodents. You want a home free from bugs and pests. You want your dogs and cats to be tick and flea free. But, you also need to make sure your children and pets are safe.
People often use pesticides in their homes or yards to control a variety of pests such as insects, weeds and rodents. Pet owners may also apply pesticide products directly to their pets to control ticks and/or fleas.
The truth is, pesticides are used as a poison. Pesticides ingredients are used to kill, control or repel pests. Although these pesticides can be beneficial, they have the potential to hurt your pet if they are not stored and used properly. Which means they can poison us as humans, and our beloved pets as well. How can we protect the ones we love? By taking careful precautions. Here are some safety reminders to keep in mind while using pesticides around your home and yard this summer.
Keep Pets Away from Products
Don’t spray or store cleaning or pesticide products near pet food or water dishes. Make sure animals can’t get at bait products while they are in use. If you accidentally spill, be sure to keep animals out of the area until the spill is cleaned. Store all products and pesticides where pets can’t get at them.
Keep Products in Original Containers
It is dangerous to put products in food and beverage containers. Containers without tight fitting lids can easily spill, or could allow your pet get access to the product. If the label tells you to mix a product in another container, use all of the mixture. If you can’t use all the mixture, label the new container for use in the future.
Follow All Label Precautions
Warnings and directions tell you how to use products safely and correctly. This can help you to keep your pets safe. Follow warnings given such as to open windows, wear gloves, and not breathe product dust. Keep pets and children away from treated areas as directed on the label.